SIMEC Mining is informing the Whyalla and Iron Knob communities of increased trucking activity along Playford Avenue and the Iron Knob Road over the coming days.
Material is being transported to support project activities at the South Middleback Ranges (SMR) operations.
Six trucks will operate in a day-shift circuit Monday-to-Friday for eight days, commencing Monday 29 June. This will also incorporate a half-day on Saturday 4 July.
Up to 16 truck movements per day will transport material to SMR via the Iron Knob Road, Arthur Glennie Drive, Playford Avenue and the Lincoln Highway.
All road users are asked to use extra caution and vigilance when travelling along the above- mentioned roads throughout this period.
As always, steps to minimise environmental and safety impacts have been taken, including:
- All loads being fully covered
- Transporting material with very low fugitive-dust potential
- Trucks travelling in the right-hand lane along Playford Avenue at no more than 40 km/hr
- Avoiding travelling during the morning and afternoon school bus runs along the Iron Knob Road
- Ceasing hauling under poor weather conditions to minimise material drag-out and potential safety issues
- Utilising an Environmental Management Plan and Fugitive Dust Ranking system
- Numbering trucks to allow identification by members of the public in the event of any concerns
SIMEC Mining encourages anyone with any queries or concerns to contact its Community and Stakeholder Engagement Advisor, Denise Sharp, on 0447 039 358.