Foreign travellers who have left or passed through mainland China will be denied entry to Australia as officials try to contain the spread of coronavirus.
They will not be allowed enter Australia for 14 days from the time they depart or transited through the Asian superpower.
The measure comes as South Australia confirms two new coronavirus cases there - a Chinese couple in their 60s - bringing the national total to 12.
Australian citizens, permanent residents and their immediate family, dependents, legal guardians and spouses, will be excepted from the strict measures, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has announced.
It also extends to airline staff who have used personal protective gear.
These individuals arriving out of mainland China, not just the Hubei province, are required to self-isolate for a period of 14 days from the time they leave the country.
"In addition to that, there'll be advanced screening and reception arrangements put into place at the major airports to facilitate identifying and providing this information and ensuring the appropriate precautions are being put in place," Mr Morrison said in Sydney on Saturday.
The measure - which is effective from Saturday to be reviewed in a fortnight - comes after Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk called for those incoming flights to be halted until the virus is contained.
However, Mr Morrison said advice at the moment from medical experts was not to move to "that level of action".
"This provides (Australians in mainland China) with the opportunity to return to Australia," he said.
Mr Morrison also announced new arrangements for Australian airports including the provision of protective masks and thermometers.
Travellers already in the air or arriving in Australia on Sunday will face enhanced screening.
The Border Force Commissioner has been given discretion to be able to deal with cases of foreign travellers as they present at these screenings.
Foreign nationals who arrive in Australia despite the restriction and do not immediately return to where they arrived from will be subject to mandatory quarantine.
Australians are also being told not to travel to mainland China as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases grows.
"I want to assure Australians that we are doing everything that we can and through these actions to protect Australia for what is an escalating threat and a constantly changing situation," Mr Morrison said.
Qantas will halt its two direct services to mainland China, saying entry restrictions imposed the United States, Singapore and other countries will impact crews working across the airline's international network.
Meanwhile, government officials are expecting the Chinese government to approve a plan to evacuate Australians in Wuhan using a Qantas plane "very soon", Defence Minister Marise Payne said.
"I would like to register my thanks to the Chinese authorities for their cooperation on this operation in exceedingly difficult circumstances," she added.
Mr Morrison has stood behind a decision to send Australian citizens to a detention facility on Christmas Island as an appropriate quarantine measure.
"I don't agree it's a controversial decision, I think it's the right decision - we have those facilities in place to support people over that two-week period which I think can give Australians the greatest level of confidence about the quarantine that we've been able to establish," Mr Morrison said.
The prime minister said he had been in regular contact with New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden, and is seeking to ensure border arrangements between the neighbouring countries are aligned.
Australian Associated Press