Sailing season launches

Only the brave ventured out on Saturday, October 19, in gusty winds south-south west 15 plus, with choppy waves to make sailing interesting.

Officer of the Day (OOD), Mick Casey, manoeuvred the rescue boat around with much precision.

His mottle crew helped to guide boats out to open waters and to set up racing course at the beach front as the tide was in and water aplenty.

He set Olympic triangle course with start and finish at lee marker.

Mick said it was close racing and good to have new faces on the water and a credible standard for start of season.

Stepping up to be Commodore, Anthony Bray said he was happy with the turn up saying it's better than the numbers for the annual general meeting.

He thanked the officials and the members who organised and cooked lunch.

It was much appreciated.

In anticipation for the strong winds the boats were rigged with Holdie main sails to help depower them.

Not sure how effective it was as sailors said that made sailing control somewhat unpredictable.

Outright winner over three races was Tony Worby with two wins and a second place.

Tony said shifting winds and maybe not as tough as first thought it to be.

It was the first time with crew Isaac Murray and in the first race they had a good start and led to first marker then lost the plot and headed home instead of around top marker.

In race two and three he was switched on and had an excellent start in the second race.

He used the wind lifts to his advantage in the third race winning both by good margins.

Anthony Bray at the helm and Michael O'Connor crew in his boat.

The start was okay in race one and he got a lucky break with T Worby losing direction.

He was able to slide in front with a close finish ahead of T Worby in this first race.

In race two he broke at the start and needed to restart so behind the game but made ground only finishing three seconds behind the second boat.

In race three he laid the first mark too short and then was contending with Anthony Spillman's boat.

They did get over the top at 50 metres to the finish and placed second by half boat length.

Skipper Anthony Spillman and crew Omar Shabab in their boat had a bad start and didn't recover finishing third in the first race.

Race two was a better start and close to A Bray ahead in the first leg and covered him to windward keeping him at bay.

B Bray closed the gap in what was a neck-and-neck finish.

Race three off the start line, A Bray beat A Spillman.

He took a gamble for a different line to first marker but he caught him as he was faster on the reaches.

It was a close finish - less than five seconds.

A Spillman said he enjoyed the racing being competitive.

It was Omar's first time sailing.

He said it was very quick with the jibes and tacks and enjoyed the thrill of racing and loves water.

Not so fortunate on the day were sailors Allan Rankin and Adelaide Smith.

They had to contend with big waves, water swamping their boat and a jammed centreboard.

This had finished their chances of racing at all.

Racing is on again next Saturday with rigging at 9am and racing at 10am, for extreme short course racing.

All are welcome to come along.

The new season's sailing program has introduced twilight sailing on Wednesday nights at 6pm and tea to follow.

Check out Whyalla Yacht Club's Facebook for more details.