Sharer of NZ mosque video gets 21 months

NZ businessman Philip Arps was sentenced to 21 months in jail for sharing mosque massacre video.
NZ businessman Philip Arps was sentenced to 21 months in jail for sharing mosque massacre video.

A New Zealand businessman who shared a video of the Christchurch massacre was sentenced on Tuesday to 21 months in prison.

Philip Arps had earlier pleaded guilty to two counts of distributing the video, which was livestreamed on Facebook by a gunman on March 15 as he began killing 51 people at two mosques.

Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O'Driscoll said Arps had strong and unrepentant views about the Muslim community and had, in effect, committed a hate crime.

"Your offending glorifies and encourages the mass murder carried out under the pretext of religious and racial hatred," the judge said.

O'Driscoll said Arps had sent the video to 30 associates.

Under New Zealand laws aimed at preventing the distribution of objectionable material, Arps faced up to 14 years imprisonment on each count.

Arps had argued he had a right to distribute the video under the banner of freedom to pursue his political beliefs.

After the hearing, Arps lawyer filed an appeal against his sentence at the High Court.

Australian Associated Press