Croatia and Steel United finish on a high

In the final weekend of the league season Croatia gave newly crowned league champions Lions a mauling at Croatia Park on Saturday to the tune of a 6-1 score line.

Lions had Worsnop missing while Croatia had five first team members unavailable but that didn’t seem to hamper the home side as Faulds slid one across the box Longin to finish for a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes.

Soon after Lions had a free kick outside Croatia’s box on an angle and Kinnear beautifully curled it over the wall and in for 1-1.

Just before half time Longin pounced again and the ball broke loose from a corner and he smacked it in from close range to put the home side 2-1 up at the break.

In the second half Croatia ran riot as Faulds grabbed a brace including a top draw finish into the top corner, an OG and a Sullivan turn and strike to make it a comprehensive 6-1 victory.

During the second half Steph Oberthur became the first woman in Croatia’s 58 year history to play in the first team when she came on as a substitute, well done.

The Reserves was abandoned as Croatia couldn’t fill a senior side for the first time in the club’s history and the points went to Lions.

Sunday’s game saw a goal fest as Steel defeated Westlands 8-4 at Dakalanta Park to finish the league season off on a high.

Logan Green was in the action early with a quick fire two goals for Steel both well taken with composure but the home side pulled one back soon after as Aumua knocked in a rebound from Edmondson's free kick.

Steel then responded before half time as Laughton and Joslyn put them 4-1 up at the break.

The second half was end to end with some very well taken goals.

Gibbs grabbed a couple and Edmondson scored a deft volley but unfortunately for the Red Devils Green got another, Ledington danced around four players to curl one in, Joslyn fire his second and a first A grade goal for young Jacob Todd wrapped up another league season as the clubs now focus on the Bill Paterson Association Cup.

In the Reserves Westlands had a 3-1 win over Steel.

Calling time on my soccer involvements

From the first time I kicked a ball as a five-year-old with Whyalla City to refereeing a match on Sunday I’ve endured 40 years of Whyalla soccer in my life.

From playing juniors, seniors, coaching, refereeing and writing the soccer article for the Whyalla News, I’ve loved every minute and made some life long friends along the way.

It’s been a hard decision but I’ve decided it’s time for me to walk away as I want to spend more time with my family and pursue other interests.

My last engagement will be the association trophy night in October.

I would like to thank everyone that’s help me along the way and I wish all the players, clubs and association the best for the future.