Dees eye finals

FOOTY ACTION: South Whyalla's Sam Venning in action in Saturday's clash against Roopena.
FOOTY ACTION: South Whyalla's Sam Venning in action in Saturday's clash against Roopena.

South Whyalla won their second game in as many weeks by downing Roopena by 14 points to consolidate their spot in this year’s finals series. Complacency has been a major issue for the Dees throughout the year and it reared its ugly head again Saturday, after playing some of their best football in the first half the Demons went away from what was working and can count their lucky stars they weren’t playing North or West. 

The game started in cold conditions with the Demons having first use of the strong four to five goal wind favouring the Fisk Street school end of the ground and their first term was close to their best quarter of football for the season, their ball movement was sharp, they hit dangerous spots inside their forward fifty and if not for some inaccuracies in front of goal (four goal eight) their lead would have been much greater than the 26 points they led by at quarter time.

Early in the second term the Roos were still finding it tough even with the strong wind at their backs, they lacked any system going forward and when Demon utility Liam Edgecumbe goaled against the wind the deficit was out to over five goals. 

To the Roos’ credit they continued to hang tough and were rewarded for their persistence with back to back goals to half forward Adam Rogers giving them some momentum going into the half time break.

After the break you could have sworn the teams had swapped guernseys, the  Demons were no longer giving the first give, they lacked support around the contest and were being completely outplayed, the Roos played to the dead side of the ground and were prepared to run the ball up into the wind.

The Demons were once again inaccurate in front of goal kicking five points for the term and with a goal against the breeze the Roos had given themselves a massive chance of running over the top of the Demons especially with the strengthing wind at their back in the final term.

A kick in the pants by coach Freddy Freeman at the three quarter time break seen a much needed lift right across the board for the Demons, their intensity lifted enabling them to lock the ball in their forward half for long periods of time and when Peter Sawtell goaled at the 16 minute mark the result was beyond doubt with the Demons getting home by 14 points.

Best for the winners was Nathan Ahmat-Watkins, his creativity and ball use from half back was game breaking, Aidey Lawson was slick on his feet on his wing with moves best seen on a dance floor, Joel Howard- Bristow is a soldier of the highest quality and is always prepared to fight the fight, Peter Eades at half back played a solid team orientated game and Brodie Lennon playing out of a forward pocket put the Roo defence under immense pressure with his relentless attack on the contest.

For the Roos, Zac Thompson was close to their best with his willingness to run be all important in their mini comeback, Simon Tetlow gets in the right positions and is arguably their best player even at such a young age, Brayden Woolford on his wing held his position well and linked up well with his defence, Adam Rogers found space in the forward line at crucial times kicking two goals and Kane Grund did some good things without being outstanding.