Wild, wet and windy at Lincoln

Riders came from Cleve, Tumby Bay, Port Augusta, Whyalla, Adelaide and even a New Zealander on holidays who travelled with his bike! The Lincoln weekend of cycling has great memories of interclub friendships and banding together to ensure everyone gets home safely and great scenery and bay views. Saturday’s weather was horrid, wet, cold and windy which had riders donning shower jackets and groaning what were we thinking. Despite this some 18 riders started via a handicap system in five groups for a 45km race. The course started on Proper Bay Road near Pine Freezer road corner then out to the national park road and a turn at 6kms then southwards on Sleaford Road until the end of bitumen and return.

Clayton Wells (PL) was in fine form and teamed up early with young rider Max Frost (Kilkenny CC) U15 keeping steady pace up and down the hills. Working together was Mark Strycharski (PL), Micheal Swaffer (TB) and Adrian Wilson (Cleve) and on his own in gusto form was Andrew Hodgkinson (WCC) followed by the next team of three Danny Ronan, Emma Mardon and Courtney Moyle (all WCC). In amongst this was on his own Andrew Frost (Kilkenny CC) father of Max, then the chopping block group Riki Popovic, Trevor Hughes, Cooper Jacobs U17 and NZ visitor Dennis Parker who stayed in contact for a good half of the race. Off on scratch position were Tony Kingdon, Rafael Almeida (both PL), Wesley Fisher (WCC) and Dylan Kaulins (PA). This group worked their way to join with the chopping block leaving Dylan to work on his own. They were unable to catch Clayton Wells (PL) who finished first and Max Frost (KCC) second and Wesley Fisher close for third and he was also fastest time.

On winning Clayton said “it was tough conditions and working with young Max we worked together and kept up a steady pace”. Visiting from Adelaide Max Frost from the Kilkenny Cycling Club said “it was an awesome ride with rain, hail and cold”.

Sunday race was the Winter’s Hill challenge at the end of completing 45+kms racing with some riders calling it torture but exhilarating to finish at its summit. This hill with its 10 degree incline can test even the fittest riders both physically and mentally. Of the 16 riders to start only 14 completed the final climb up Winter’s Hill. This number could have been two less because along the Flinders Highway two riders touched wheels and fortunately due to their experience and agility both Dennis and Adrian were able to stay upright and finish the race, each with damaged wheels. Weather wise it was still wet with occasional showers and periods of sunshine to keep a smile on the riders’ faces.

First up Winter’s Hill was Rafael Almeida (PL) and second was Dylan Kaulins from Port Augusta and third Wesley Fisher (WCC) and fastest was Rafael. On winning Rafael said “the bunch rode well together and the weather conditions made for some excitement and hard riding. At the Winter’s Hill turn in I took a lead opportunity after Dylan sprinted prior to the corner taking Wesley with him to then misjudge the corner and that’s when I launched my attack to lead to the top and win”.

After racing Tony, Sheila and Mark Kingdon provided a delightful barbecue and sweets spread at their home. Darryl Worby handicapper thanked the Port Lincoln riders for a great weekend of racing.

He thanked President Ashley Evans and the turning marshals and officials and announced the overall winners were using the points system: first Rafael Almeida (PL), second Wesley Fisher (WCC) and third Clayton Wells (PL).