Electrical fault leads to car fire

SMOKE: An electrical fault has been found to be the cause of a car igniting on Ekblom Street last week.
SMOKE: An electrical fault has been found to be the cause of a car igniting on Ekblom Street last week.

An electrical fault has been found to be the cause of a car igniting on Ekblom Street on Thursday.

At about 12.30pm on Thursday, May 28 a white sedan caught on fire before the driver pulled the car to a stop.

The driver, an 85-year-old woman pulled over, before passers by helped her out of the vehicle.

Metropolitan Fire Service Whyalla senior firefighter Neil Higgins said it was fortunate the woman was able to get to safety quickly.

"She pulled over as soon as she saw the smoke, so she was very lucky," he said.

Mr Higgins said the local MFS received a page at 12.36pm alerting them of the blaze, with a turnover time of about 11 minutes.

"We required two appliances, eight firefighters, two breathing apparatuses with a HB hose line to extinguish it," he said.

Mr Higgins said the possibility of an explosion was always a concern when attending vehicle fires, however, the fire had not extended far enough into the car to cause such a reaction.

"It took about 10 minutes to extinguish, while a good half an hour was spent making sure it was completely out and protecting the scene until SAPOL arrived," he said.

Mr Higgins said a man from A Quest Whyalla attempted to use a hand held extinguisher to douse the fire.

Although he was unsuccessful as the fire was too strong, Mr Higgins said having an extinguisher in vehicles was a good idea.

"It wouldn't be a bad idea for people to start carrying extinguishers in their vehicles for safety purposes," he said.