The 2015 Regional Awards were launched in the Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula region last week with a Brand South Australia lunch held at Watersedge Restaurant to mark the event.
Brand South Australia events coordinator Kirrilee Hay said the Regional Awards were a fantastic opportunity to recognise the incredible work of individual people and community groups in regional areas, as well as a way of celebrating success in business.
"The program has been growing year on year and 2014 saw record-breaking success," Ms Hay said.
"Last year we received 2346 nominations and 646 entries across South Australia.
"Of those, 284 nominations and 84 entries came from the Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula region."
Brand SA chief executive officer Karen Ratten said the awards, now in their 16th year, were a powerful platform for uncovering the amazing success stories of South Australia's regions.
"As we know the regions are a massive economic contributor to South Australia and we don't always shine enough spotlight on them," Ms Ratten said.
"This program's all about uncovering that and telling people how amazing they are and getting to know about them."
Ms Ratten said Whyalla and the Eyre Peninsula had plenty to offer such as beautiful fresh food production, quality eateries, innovative projects as well as passionate individuals doing great things.
"I can only encourage everyone to get involved, let's have a look at how we can continue to get people to understand what's going on in this whole EP region," Ms Ratten said.
"Get them to come here for business, for tourism, and come study here and invest here and let's get this region going."
Ms Ratten said there were 13 categories to showcase the valuable various elements that make up the region's communities.
"So lots of different opportunities to be able to talk about what's happening from a regional perspective," Ms Ratten
Last year's regional award winners included Whyalla community arts organisation, D'faces of Youth Arts, which picked up the Dr+Group Arts Award.
Nominations for the 2015 awards can be made online at www.brandsouthaustralia.com.au and close Friday, May 1.
The entries process will then close June 1.
The Whyalla and Eyre Peninsula region's winners and finalists for 2015 will be announced at a presentation evening in Whyalla on Wednesday, October 7.
The award categories are:
- The Dr+Group Arts and Creative Industries Award
- The Telstra Small Business Award
- The Telstra Large Business Award
- The Adelaide Showground Community Group Award
- The Seniors Card Community Individual Award
- The Flinders University Education Award
- The Leukaemia Foundation Emerging Leader Award
- The Programmed Festivals and Events Award
- The ReturnToWorkSA Health Award
- The Foodland Premium Food and Wine from our Clean Environment - Food Award
- The PIRSA Premium Food and Wine from our Clean Environment - Wine Award
- The Sport Award
- The StatewideSuper Tourism Award
- The Department of State Development Hall of Fame Award